An open house in Sandy Springs has its advantages and disadvantages. There’s a lot of prep work involved and if done right, you will have short listed some serious buyers who are genuinely interested in buying the house. To avoid the stress, we have come up with a plan that will help you prepare for an open house in just four weeks. By the time the week comes to an end, you will be hosting a welcoming open house that will have people praising you for your skills.
4 Weeks before…
- If you have a full family with kids, drop them at your parents or neighbor’s.
- Book a contractor for a week to get all the repairs done such as leaky faucets, holes in walls, sagging gutters, etc.
- De-clutter your house and make sure that every room and closet is empty, since buyers like to open things and check out the space.
- Book an appointment with the carpet cleaner for the last week.
3 Weeks before…
- Clean the bathroom and buy some white towels to give the bathroom a spa-like look.
- Place a mat at the front door and in front of the bathroom door.
- Buy a shoe box and place it inside the front door, so that people will take off their shoe after entering the house without being asked to do so.
Two Weeks before…
- Clean everything from walls to tile floors, light fixtures and switches, ceiling fans and door knobs.
- Power-wash the deck, sidewalk and the driveway.
1 Week before…
- Make sure that electronic appliances such as the air conditioning unit and furnace are clean of dirt and grease. Buyer will definitely like to check the model and turn them on to see how they are working.
- De-clutter kitchen cabinets and clean all appliances that will be included in the sale.
5 Days before…
- Buy cookie dough and disposable sheets, so that you don’t have to do any cleaning after baking.
- Buy a dozen apples and oranges to place in a bowl on the kitchen counter.
- Clean windows to let the light shine in.
- Mow the lawn.
1 Day before…
- Put fresh firewood in the fireplace.
- Hide yard clutter such as pet water bowls, toys and hoses.
On Open House Day…
- Gather all your valuables and store them in your car’s trunk.
- Place the barbeque grill in the backyard and set the picnic table to show people how they can entertain themselves on the weekends.
- Make sure there are no spider webs on the walls or equipments.
- Clean fingerprints off glass doors and windows.
- Use post-it notes to highlight unique features of the house.
- Remove all personal items from the bathroom.
- Remove all appliances from the kitchen’s countertop.
An Hour before…
- Bake cookies and place it on the counter top with a note saying “Help Yourself”.
- Put apples and oranges in a bowl and put it on the countertop.
15 Minutes before…
- Open all curtains, so that the house has natural lighting.
- Light the fireplace.
- Brew a fresh pot of coffee.
- Spray the living room with an air freshener.
When people start arriving for the open house, make sure that you are standing outside. Potential buyers won’t be able to look at the house freely if you are hovering in the background.
So, there you go – a timeline that will help you attract more buyers. Homes for sales in Atlanta were down by 20% this September. To make sure that your house falls in the right category that buyers are looking for, find out its current value by visiting America’s Network Reality.